following up: UPS man came early so I ducked out of work for half an hour
to put the bike inside, as it was propped up against my garage with nobody
home for delivery.

My bike seems to be an enigma in all ways. So, here's what we have:

58cm 650b Hilsen
early SA serial number (so confirmed Toyo build)
Saluki fork crown, like this:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/Images/rbw/rr38_pg45.jpg
AHH decals and headbadge
and to top things off, it's the lighter, Waterford Hilsen blue, not the
darker Toyo.

Previous owner is a list member, and he's promised to tell me the history
of the bike when he gets a break for work. I suppose it's possible someone
just repainted and rebadged an old Saluki. I also wonder if Riv had an
unpainted Saluki frame lying around, and decided to make it a Hilsen?

Either way, I'm excited by my findings, because A) I like unique things
with interesting histories, and B) I prefer the decals and headbadge of the
Saluki, so I thought about reaching out to the folks at RBW to see if they
still had any Saluki headbadges, and whether they'd sell me one for this
bike. That way, when the day comes to repaint, I can reincarnate it back to
it's 'original' form. I can't see why they wouldn't sell me one, if they
have them, but, who knows!

Sean