I don't think Bill is spreading falsehoods about metal fenders. He is not
saying that plastic fenders absolutely have more clearance than metal
fenders. I think that he is saying in the situation of trying to cram as
large a tire as possible and a fender into a given frame/brake combination,
and considering the stock hardware that comes with most fenders (which, on
metal fenders, often involves darumas or bolts with nuts on the inside of
the fender), it may be easier to achieve the desired result with the
current SKS fenders than the current commonly available metal fenders.

I certainly agree that with metal fenders, especially those that aren't
pre-drilled for hardware, are much more adaptable in terms of how you mount
them. If you have access to riveting tools you can rivet L-brackets to
them. You can bolt them to dedicated mounts on the frame and racks
(assuming your frame and racks were built with them) with button head
bolts. My wife's bike (Heron Touring) has some Honjo fenders that came to
me with special plates to attach the fender stays rather than darumas, and
those definitely take up relatively little space on the inside of the
fender (I see them now on the SimWorks website, listed as the "Stay Band
Set": https://sim.works/collections/small-parts-simworks-by-honjo). But all
of this is a lot more customization and effort when compared to what it
takes to install a pair of SKS fenders.

I am in a similar situation to the OP: my Rambouillet (an older Rivendell
road bike that also used 47-57mm reach brakes) came with 28mm tires and
hammered Honjo fenders. The fenders are the narrowest Honjos I've seen but
the daruma bolts at the fork crown and stay mounts are definitely the
limiting factor. I could cut down threaded ends of the darumas and maybe
use thinner nuts, but I'd still probably be hesitant to run anything much
wider than 28mm. I've thought about switching the fenders out for some 45mm
longboards I have and seeing if I could run 32-33mm tires. At the same
time, my primary motivation for going to larger tires is riding gravel and
dirt, so maybe it's better to just ditch the fenders entirely and run tires
in the 35mm range. I live in California and rain isn't a year-round
phenomenon here.

-Jeremy Till
Sacramento, CA

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/588374a3-60ce-43ca-a6be-4462f807989c%40googlegroups.com.