Lots of good ideas here and from others. Yes, I was assuming stock supplied
hardware but obviously one does not have to use it. When using the stock
mounting hardware on some of the traditionally styled metal fenders, the
hardware itself is what can limit vertical clearance. Some modern metal
fender designs do seem to encroach upon the tire less.

Since the OP is referring to the Roadini, we assume a fender width limit of
about 45mm. The rolled edges of popular traditionally styled metal fenders,
combined with limited vertical clearance due to 57 mm reach caliper brakes,
can limit the width of the tire more than an SKS P45 Longboard. I have VO
45mm fenders on another bike. I haven't tried mounting them on the Roadeo,
but eyeballing them leads me to my conclusions. Maybe one day, I'll give it
a go just to see what I can get away with tire-wise. And if Iconley/Laing
is willing to share some more tricks, maybe we'll be surprised at what's
achievable.

Paul

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/64d17f66-f0ee-4b5e-b205-6808ddb3d457%40googlegroups.com.