I have fendered and non-fendered bikes. The only problem with that is
making the right choice on any given day. Here in Western Colorado,
the Spring, especially under strong El Ninos, is our wet season. So
its fender bikes most of the time. Early summer is our driest season.
Then the monsoon in late July-September is when I often get cought
unfendered in a torrent. We get less than 9 inches per year on
average, but no year is average. And the surrounding hills and
mountains, where I like to ride, get lots more.