Sean & Chris,

I didn't have to dimple the chainstays, but I did have a local builder add
canti posts at 650b height. I will say that the clearances are tight both
at the fork crown and the chainstays, but there's about 3-4mm of space left
in both places. I haven't measured the actual tire width, but I'm guessing
the fact that they're mounted to Velocity Dyads is keeping them from
pumping up to their full 54mm stated width.

Related to wheel diameter, a big concern of mine with this conversion was
dropping the bb too low, especially given my intent of riding off road. I
am getting a bit of pedal strike on rocky trails, but I'm just having to
pay closer attention to my riding technique and not blowing over the
terrain. I used this website <https://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math> to
crunch wheel diameter numbers before I committed. I was running Snoqualmie
Pass tires before, so 700x44 = a wheel diameter of ~710mm. Now with
650x2.1, it's ~690mm.

When I thought about the conversion dropping the bb 2cm lower, I also took
into consideration that the bike likely wasn't designed around a 44mm tire,
and probabaly a 35 or 38mm tire, which has a wheel diameter of ~696mm. So
while it's 2cm lower than where I had it, it's not really much lower than
it *would* be if I had 700x35ish tires.

All in all, these are approximations, and I just went for it. The bike is
very, very cool and I think I'm having the most fun on a bike I've had in a
while. I'm amazed at how fast and fun the ride is. I attribute it to great
frame design and great tires.

Erik

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/49318ca7-0d61-4a1d-98ce-922697c41fcb%40googlegroups.com.