I'm getting a vibe that people feel like the Leica III is more fragile than
it is. Granted, I don't know which model Philip has. I haven't heard of a
IIId. Dropping any camera is a problem. Dropping an M4 (or 3 or 2 and on
up) is always more of a problem because the viewfinder and rangefinder are
integrated. I dropped an MP (newer version) from less than a foot and
cracked the viewfinder window. But the III (especially the c and later
because the body is die cast) is probably one of the most solid cameras
you'll ever find, certainly more durable than anything you can buy today.
They also made a ton of them.
If you need service, try Youxin Ye. He's great for the older bodies and
lenses and affordable.
My black III is a rough and tumble go-get-em camera, and I'm never afraid
to take it anywhere. It's certainly a lot more able to withstand rain and
bumpy rides than anything modern other than the flagship Canon and Nikon
weather-sealed, etc. bodies. It looks a lot like this one:
http://www.luistriguez.es/fotos/cameras/leicaiii/index_leicaiii.htm

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CANEMrAt200AH2vDYYs8mDLajfU8RVrpojzV0avAGvrArWd2Bdg%40mail.gmail.com.