Cheers Paul, and thanks for the photos!  Yes the knobby tire version is
quite capable, I took it on a variety of trails (nothing too extreme, but
plenty of roots and a few rocks) and it felt great, though I was wishing I
heeded the advise to run side-pull brakes on it. Unfortunately, it rains
nearly all winter long here, so I've had to set it up for fenders until
spring at least.