Hey folks. I was lucky enough to be part of the Rivelo-Grant-Hillibike meet
up yesterday.

I have been lightly discussing the XL Susie in an email thread with other
list members but thought I'd bring it here since I had the good fortune of
being part of the event. My review won't be a super well-written one. It
may also not be the most linear recollection of facts/feelings but I
thought to get a thread going based on actual rider experience with the new
batch of Rivs, being that they're now available for pre-order. Here's my
quick recap to get things started:

I rode the XL Susie. The bike had 29x2.8" knobbies which felt super plush,
PSI unknown. I really expected the big long bike to "start up" a little
slower but that was not the case! I spun a few blocks around Rivelo; jumped
some curbs and whatnot. The bike felt quick. I did not take note of
chainring size/ cassette spread but I did have the bike in highest gear
rather quickly. I also thought the front end would feel way more stretched
out but it did not. The bike had Billie bars and what seemed like a
90/100mm quill stem. I'd have preferred something of the flatter/more
MTB-ey variety and maybe a 110mm stem. I'd have REALLY preferred to be able
to ride some trails, some steep ups & downs but hey- I was happy to have
the opportunity to ride one and rap with Grant a bit about the bike.

For the those "maximum rubber" types out there like myself - with the 2.8"
Teravail knobby tire, still plenty of room to go bigger. I'd guess a 3"
would fit without issue, maybe larger. I could fit my index finger almost
up to the first knuckle on either side at the chainstays where clearances
were tightest. Seatstay & fork crown: clearance for days. Not trying to
undermine any one or thing jhere; just sayin' that if I get one of these
bikes I'll definitely be trying to go for 3".

All in all the bike felt excellent. I haven't ridden a Jones or Big Dummy.
I have owned several RIv's and vintage MTB's with longer chainstays but
this was my first experience with a 50cm+ chainstay and it felt really,
really good. No one can argue with you if you simply don't love the look of
the long-chainstay-ed bicycle. If you think Grant's being ridiculous (and
I'm guessing most of the haters haven't ridden the long chainstay
iterations of the newer Riv models), you should really try one with your
pretenses aside. These really are fantastic riding bikes.