I have the original tan, 2nd generation tan and then the 3rd generation blue.
The original nylon was lighter and better for hot days. The later stuff is
better for cooler days. None are good for spirited riding. They don't do sweat
well. I wear them for easy Sunday social club rides or causal rides to town for
coffee, lunch, vet supply pick up for my critters, a haircut, etc. They work
GREAT for that.  The Riv shorts OTOH are okay for hard riding in warmer
weather. I have both the original butternut and the boosucker. The boosucker is
the bomb but came and went very quickly.