On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 3:27:19 PM UTC-8, Jason Fuller wrote:

> The custom sounds amazing!  I have pondered why the Compass/RH centerpulls
> aren't used on any of the caliper-brake Rivendells. I understand the desire
> to avoid rare / single source parts but the R Herse brakes are truly the
> best of all worlds, unless you're heavily loaded / riding a tandem.

There's nothing to prevent you from using bolt-on Rene Herse centerpulls
<https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/brakes/centerpull-brake-with-backing-plate/>
 with
any Rivendell that uses caliper brakes and have the correct brake reach
requirement. It's trickier with the direct mount RH centerpulls
<https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/brakes/centerpull-brakes/>,
because they use braze-on bosses/pivots/studs that are Mafac-compatible,
which means these aren't the usual cantilever ones and will need to be
specially sourced. Other than customs and Ocean Air Cycles' Rambler, I've
actually not seen such single-minded dedication to any particular brake.
Not that it's risky per se (to the long-term usefulness of the bike)
because brakes don't go bad; as long as the requisite pads remain
available, we're good. I'm actually vested in this understanding, as I have
two bikes with dedicated Paul Racer braze-ons. :)

The problematic issue is cost. With such a specialized setup, Rivendell
shouldn't let its customers source RH centerpulls separately, or they risk
losing customers to competition that offer more brake options. RH
centerpulls run $170 per wheel, so you're adding $340/bike for brakes
alone. Even with volume discount, adding RH brakes is still going to bump
up your cost by a significant percentage. With Rivendell trying to control
costs to keep cash flow tenable and the bikes affordable, I don't believe
going down this lane is prudent. It's best to go "commodity", and let the
most ardent believers order customs! :)