I'm just back from a 215 mile loop out of Berkeley on my first Rivendell, a
65cm LongLow. We went to Point Reyes (over the RSR bridge!) then on to
Tomales, where it's freezing cold at night but the saloon is hopping. Then
a grunt out to Bodega Bay and second breakfast in Jenner, before meandering
up the Russian River to Rio Nido for beer, and family hospitality in
Heraldsburg. The rain came early, but relented enough to give us dry road
into Calistoga, before hammering us the entire length of Silverado Trail,
to an overpriced motel in Napa. Final day was like autopilot back through
Vallejo and on down into Berkeley.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclemoss/albums/72157712451755936

and

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31483686

The LongLow has its original Phil hubs, and six-speed freewheel, half-step
+ granny triple, simple Shimano 105 shifters, and nitto stem. It started
with M'bars, but I've been riding on Noodles for five years now, and prefer
them for long tours. The brakes are now "mini" Vees, and I very much like
the Tektro interruptor levers. My luggage system is a basic Wald basket up
front, with Sackville ShopSack, and a new-ish Banana bag under the saddle.
For true camping, I have a stout Nitto rack and Ortliebs, this ride, I left
the lightweight Nitto on, to carry beer or wine in case we needed extra
capacity. Tires are now 35mm Compass something-something pass... very soft
and forgiving, but still quite fast.

I love the ride, so smooth and stable, and I can just pedal all day in
comfort (except or my neck, it gets tired looking up, so I often go a few
hundred feet looking down at the white shoulder line). There's a QuickBeam
in my stable, and a new Riv-ish frame still to be painted and assembled
(Rohloff meets MAFAC Racer), but I always enjoy this ride. Many thanks to
Grant & crew for getting the frame sized right, and keeping me going.

- Andrew, Berkeley