In my area, as I’m sure in most areas, the struggle between cyclists and
motorists is very apparent. Include pedestrians, joggers, and other users of
the road as well. (I won’t even get into the explosion of ebikes as of late).
The relationship doesn’t seem to be getting better, despite the fact there is a
growing number of both cars and cyclists on the road, with no sign of slowing
down anytime in the future. I get a constant reminder of this disparity when I
am around my in-laws (who know I’m a cyclist so all the venting happens at
family gatherings, typically at me), and non-cyclist friends. “Why can’t they
be more respectful? Why do they take up the whole road? Why do they blow
through stop signs??!” Which are all legitimate frustrations. There are a LOT
of inconsiderate cyclists out there. I see it as a driver. Of course, flip all
of this when I’m around cyclists.

But not one party is right. There are good drivers and bad ones. Same in the
cyclists world. So what to do?

What I’ve constantly advocated was more education. Both of cyclists and
motorists. I wouldn’t mind if cyclists had to be licensed or at least go
through a mandatory course on a regular basis. Simple as watching a video
online and printing a certificate. There are lots of cyclists who simply don’t
know the rules. Same with motorists. Can we not include some better training
when getting licensed? More than the “be sure to yield to cyclists when
possible” in the dmv manual today. But that will be a long time coming.

This battle will continue which means we have to be more thoughtful in our
actions. Nonchalant attitude toward the rules will hurt more than help. We
can’t have this tit for tat mentality of, well, if they can text and drive, I
can ride wherever I want. If they can ride where they want, I can park in the
bike lane. ...... Who wins here? Not us.

Of COURSE I value life more than obeying the letter of law. But really, is
breaking the law really unavoidable? Can one not walk the bike on the sidewalk
whether there are pedestrians or not? People driving by still notice. Is it
that hard to stop at stop signs? Throw up a hand signal when turning? Just do
what you can to be a better ambassador.

I’m a little surprised by having to defend this here. But at the same time, not
really, as it’s a common conversation with a lot of other “cyclists“ I’ve run
into.

Ride safe everyone.