I have a Koolstop tire jack that works well for excessively tight tires and
doesn't touch the tube; this works better than the VAR which IME flexes too
easily to be convenient.

There seem to be other makes out there, too:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kool+stop+tire+bead+jack&t=ffab&atb=v167-1&ia=shopping