Hi John,

To start, I am far from being as expert as many of the regulars in this
discussion group.  That said, I have three Riv bikes now and have an MIT
Atlantis that will be coming my way in the next few weeks.  When I
purchased my first Riv bike, an A. Homer Hilsen, I switched out the
handlebars from Nitto Noodles drop bars to Nitto Albatrosses.  I also found
that drops no longer worked for me -- I found myself only riding on the
tops of the bars and the brake hoods.  I tried the Albatross since so many
in the group and Grant and other RBW staff spoke glowingly about Albatross
comfort.  I never felt it worked for me.

What I found to be less than comfortable is the "handshake" grip that one
uses with the Albatross bars (and the drops of drop bars).  Prior to
discovering RBW, I owned a Scott Sub 20, a very comfortable bike.  It had
no name bars that were relatively flat that were slightly (20-30 degrees)
swept back.  They were very comfortable. Rather than a handshake grip,
these bars called for a grip like I was grasping a bar that was parallel to
the floor in front of me.  I never felt aches or pains.

After some thought about my Albatross bars, I concluded I needed to trade
them out for less swept back handlebars.  I chose the Nitto Bullmoose for
my AHH.  It provided the comfort that I wanted and hoped for.

When I ordered my MIT Atlantis (a 55cm, 700c), I also wanted a slightly
swept back bar.  I spec'd the Nitto Bullmoose but was told by James Johnson
at Analog Cycles (which is building the bike for me) that the Bullmoose
would not work for what I wanted because of the long reach of the MIT
Atlantis.  He recommended a shorter stem (80mm) and either a Nitto Wavie or
Velo Orange Curvy handlebar.  These are similar in most respects and I've
ended up with the Curvy.  I'll be riding it in a few weeks and can let you
know my experience.

In the meantime, if you are not familiar with the WhatBars website, I
recommend it highly as it allow one to compare the geometry of almost any
handlebar you might want.  Here's the link:  www.whatbars.com.

Good luck on your search.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

p.s. When my MIT Atlantis arrives, I still plan to see whether a Nitto
Bullmoose might work for me.