I asserted a RapidRise rear der is especially perfect if you have stem
shifters.  I asked if anyone knew why?

Ray guessed it had to do with easy one hand shifting.

That was not my reason.  Actually I'd assert that a one hand double shift
is slightly harder with a rapid rise RD, because most double shifts involve
upshifting one and downshifting the other.

My reason is that with a non-Rapid Rise RD, your lowest gear has the right
shifter pulled all the way down.  When you are in a really low gear, you
are likely climbing a steep hill.  It's pretty darn common to be standing
when climbing a steep hill.  If it's really steep, your knees get really
close to the stem shifters, and you are way more likely to knock the
shifter forward and upshift 2 or 3 cogs, which is annoying.

With a Rapid Rise RD, in your lowest gear both shifters are all the way
forward, and pretty much unreachable by your knee, and entirely unshiftable
with a knee strike.  If you are in something other than the lowest gear, a
knee strike could cause a shift but it's always to a lower gear, which is a
lot less annoying.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA