One more only, I promise, but it's very on-topic. The most violent bike
accident I've seen, fortunately not mine. I was walking home after
hitchhiking at the blind-spot bottom of a long, steep hill curving left
toward our house 3/4-mile along near top; narrow, curving, 2-lane blacktop
-- in US, width of neighborhood street --  from Town and major artery. Brit
coming up fast behind me in Jag or Merc or Rover, speeding as all did -- 60
was common; he must have been doing 70 -- swung wide right on blind corner
to pass a small road roller chugging along near me at 6 mph with nothing at
all to warn oncomers of slow vehicle ahead -- and ran smack head on into 2
black Africans coasting downhill at 35 mph on a rodbraked roadster,
passenger on rear rack (I add the race information because it is part of
the story. Brit was rich white African with nice car whose criminal
stupidity is part of the narrative, though criminal -- jail time in US --
driving stupidity then and there was the habit of all races and classes
except perhaps South Asians). Rider and passenger went literally
cartwheeling 10 feet into the air. The driver did stop and I saw him and
passers by carrying rider to car, with large hole gouged out of his calf;
passenger was standing, shaken, as you might expect. My father often left
Sunday dinner upon hearing crash noises to take victims to hospital; Kenya
had one of world's highest accident rates at the time, and the old Limuru
road was one of the worst for them. Yet, yet, yet -- I rode all over the
countryside and downtown on various bikes, including my first build with
freewheel and no brake except foot on front tire, with no accidents, and
most close calls due to my own agression (against cars and buses behaving
badly). Despite the criminal driving, Kenya's vehicles and infrastructure
were far more sophisticated than India's, where I also rode, and especially
Pakistan's, where traffic was just truly and bizarrely ungoverned by any
principle besides rule of biggest -- damned hellhole of a country; yet in
no place did bike accidents seem horribly numerous, the latter 2 places
being saved doubtless because crowding prevented speeding. Bismark again
...?