Bread! I started baking bread back circa 1981-2 as a poor graduate
student in Philosophie, Universite' Laval, when I cooked for myself
and a couple of roommates. I'dI walk down the hill from our
appartement in the old quarter to the nearby "organic" co-op" and buy
a 25 kg cloth sack of whole wheat flour and a 500 gr bag of yeast,
then schlep it all back up the hill to the apartment by bus -- much as
I handled 3 months of laundry. The routine was to make the equivalent
of about 4 24 oz loaves; big bowls of yeastily rising dough scattered
all over the kitchen. One of the most smug-making compliments I
received was from a woman guest who exclaimed, "Your bread is like
cake!" I've made it ever since, on and off, by hand, over the years,
although I'll confess to a brief, adulterous fling with a bread
machine way back when they first came out (easy, momentarily
thrilling, ultimately unsatisfying).

Oh, do please stick with it! A few mishaps and you'll get that "sense"
of what a successful bolus of bread dough feels like.

The whole knack or skill is to get to know the "feel" of the right
ratios of flour and water. The amount of other ingredients -- hell,
even yeast -- is secondary. As long as the dough has the right
consistency and "feel", you can use 1 tsp for ~ 6 c flour (I don't
really measure) or double that; it all turns out the same. Likewise,
you can add a cup of oil, or none; sure, too much oil makes a more
compact loaf, but within reason, no big difference. Salt? Sure, a
half-cup will be noticed, but just toss it in and experiment. I don't
stoop to adding milk or eggs (faugh!). Really, oil, no oil, salt, no
salt -- the results depend on the flour/water ratio (tho' even this
has ample tolerances) and, above all, on the kneading.

I've started baking bread again recently (and will continue if I can
find more flour in our coronavirus-depleted shelves), and I have to
say that the results are worth the very small input of effort. This
effort is, basically, 2-fold: (1) mixing the ingredients. (2) Kneading
for 10 minutes. Apart from that, the rest is just waiting and eating,
except for cleaning the mixing bowl.

I've got enough (~6 cups, +/- 2 cups) for another ~5 lb of bread
before I run out. My daughter is with me for a week furloughed from
college (share her with her mother), and I think I will learn her in
the tricks o' the trade.