Not bike related, but certainly accident related: Your forlorn attempt to
get airborne reminds me of a jarring experience at age 9 when I saw my
first skateboard -- they were really just boards with metal skate trucks
bolted to them. For some reason, I got the bright idea that I could place
the skateboard squarely facing me on a friend's concrete driveway, walk
back 15 feet, take a run, and do a belly flop onto the board. Forget what
exactly I expected to gain from this.

Needless to say, I overshot the skateboard and landed on my front teeth,
which were big enough to earn me the monicker, "Beaver." One is still a
couple of mm shorter than the other.