I have a crash story from last week - not mine. I think this is a good thread
to resurrect - I certainly learned some valuable lessons from your stories.

My friend, D, is a triathlete and has a lot of triathlete friends. They love to
get their road bikes out and ride in groups. The Las Vegas Strip is a ghost
town right now, and folks are taking their bikes and riding there. Last week,
my friend was meeting a couple to do this very thing. When they were late, D
didn’t really worry. They were arriving by bike, and maybe they were delayed.
But the D’s phone rang, and the wife said there had been a crash and an
ambulance was on the way.

Here’s what happened.

The husband was clipped in and stood up on his pedals. He was beginning a
descent, and when he stood, his right foot came unclipped and his foot got
caught in the spokes. He reportedly flipped several times and was unable to
stand at the scene. After a lot of bungling on the part of a Vegas hospital
(the joke here is “Where do you go for medical care in Las Vegas? McCarran
Airport.”) he was discovered to have: a dislocated right hip with a possible
hairline fracture, a broken scapula, numerous pelvic fractures and a TON of
road rash on his back. He’s had two surgeries already and will be bedridden for
6 weeks. He faces a long road of PT and OT for his recovery.

His story has haunted me ever since I heard.