Leah, terribly sorry I somehow missed this thread otherwise could have solved
your dilemma days ago or in one of the emails I  clobbered you with the last
couple days.
I have the black versions of those very same fenders on my Polyvalent. The
mounting point on the Polyvalent is different though & just required a screw
straight through.
In any case pity I don't live close because it would literally taken me a
minute to fix that. Presumably reading through this you've got the bracket from
VO already; I am assuming you would have gotten one originally & your inept
mechanic just didn't know what to do with it!? It should look like a silver
version if this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i7ewgztjUSMNjic17

Did it come with a screw or bolt or something? If not you can go to Lowes or HD
& get the things you need.

1 screw - cap head allen screw M5 x 16mm should be long enough (maybe a little
longer just in case) I suggest stainless steel.

One M5 nylock nut stainless steel if possible

Probably some appropriately sized washers would be good as well.

With these items in hand sneak up on unsuspecting bicycle and insert screw
through bracket and small hole on the frame bridge. Attach with washer & nut,
but do not tighten. Lower bracket down until it contacts the fender. This
bracket isn't super strong once it's on the bike & against the fender there
should be enough resistance to bend it with your fingers. If this proves
difficult maybe your husband or a neighbor could manage!? Once you get is sort
of bent around the edge of the fender you could gently clamp it down more with
some pliers. It doesn't need to be super tight just snug. If you want it not to
rattle you could slip a piece of cut up inner tube or something in between the
bracket & fender prior to bending the little tabs then clamp down a little
tighter. Once you've done this you can finish tightening the nut on the screw.

I certainly hope that makes sense!? And I'm sorry you don't have any competent
bike shops around there. I've been working on bikes since I was 6 so sometimes
it's hard for me to understand how things like this happen. 🤔