+1 on the recommendation for a narrow wide chainring.

I have two 90s bikes with this config:
1) A Miyata mtb with a 4-bolt Wolf Tooth style narrow wide 32t chain ring
(104mm), deore cranks, m591 Deore rd and 9-speed Dura Ace bar end shifter
in friction mode
2) Paramount mtb with a 5-bolt Race Face narrow wide 40t chain ring
(130mm), Ultegra 6500 cranks, xt trigger shifter and m771 xt rd

Both feature a 11-34t cassette. Shifting on both is crisp and smooth, but I
prefer the 40t narrow wide for speed reasons.

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

Good luck!