Leah,

I encourage you to try and avoid getting wrapped up in frame weight worries.
Though I'm not immune to bouts of weight weeniesm (I've got a sub 19lb
black mountain and my AHH is under 21lbs) I think bike weight is at best a
third order effect, and frame weight is only part of total bike weight.
Choice of components tires etc, let alone bags with stuff in them can add
up to more than the difference in frame weights. Bike weight is most
noticeable when maneuvering the bike before or after a ride. I.e. up or
down porch steps, on or off a car rack, etc. If your not bothered doing
those sorts of things try to forget about it. If you are bothered by it,
buy light parts, don't opt for the larger frame if you've got two options,
and think about tubing last.
I also don't subscribe to the "too stiff" frame school. If you like feeling
your fame flex when you stand on the pedals fine, but I don't care for it
myself. Decades ago I was racing on a Nobilette sport touringish frame and
between one weekend and the next I changed to a Gios Torino (italian race
frame). The Gios was noticeably stiffer and quicker handling. I liked the
ride better for racing but it did not make me slower or faster (note, that
frame is in my garage rafters now).
I think you would be better served by focusing on the ride and handling you
want and let GP and co worry about the tubing. I'm convinced that the ride
and handling of a bike are dominated by the geometry and the tires. Unless
the tubing is really light and you like bottom bracket flex under power,
the effect of tubing is way down in the weeds. I don't believe substituting
roadeo tubing into the cheviot geometry would result in a mixte that rides
like a roadeo.
When Riv "steered you toward production" did you tell them you wanted a
mixte that rides like a Roadeo? Is that what you want? If it is I expect GP
would say that is a custom.
If you want a bike that rides like a Betty, Cheviot or Clem L but faster,
buy a production bike and put easier rolling more fragile tires, lower
narrower bars, and light components on it.
Custom frame (4K) minus cheviot frame (1.4K) leaves $2600, you can buy a
fair number of fancy parts upgrades with that much money.
Unless you have $$ to burn, I think a custom Riv only makes sense if the
geometry you want isn't available any other way.