Hi -

My first really nice bike had sew-up [now usually referred to as tubular]
tires. This was back in the day (mid '70s) of 27" wheels, full campy
grouppo, etc. I recall two things about sew-ups/tubulars:

1) The ride was incredible. Very smooth. Seemed to glide over the pavement.
All this even though the tires were less than 30mm wide.

2) Flats were a major hassle to fix. First you had to get the tire off the
bike. Sew-ups/tubulars are either glued to the rim or secured via two-sided
tape. Then you had to find the leak, pull back the strip covering the seam
in the casing (whence the name - sew-up), cut the seam near the leak, patch
the tube inside, re-sew the seam in the casing, secure the strip covering
the seam and reinstall the tire on the rim.

I had relegated sew-ups to the distant past until I saw Jan's recent post
on tubulars. That got me to thinking about a new set of Rich-built wheels
to go on my Riv custom. I have another bike to put the current set on, and
I would like to recover some of the ride of the old bike.

Which leads me to my question - which rim would be best for my wheels? The
rims need to be compatible with tubulars. Having ridden several sets of
bomb-proof wheels using Velocity rims, I naturally gravitated to the
Velocity Major Tom. Is there a better or more appropriate rim for tubulars?
I'm planning on using Jan's FMB tubulars; probably one of the 33mm tires.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Corwin