Aren't cycle cross tires (uci sanctioned anyway) restricted to something
like 33 or 35mm?
I think I've read that pro mtn bikers also use tubulars, though I've never
seen em for sale. Perhaps they exist but are not generally available.

Back in the early 90's when I was still riding sew ups (got my first set in
the late 70's) I had a hard time finding a shop in silicon valley that
would rebuild my campi hi flange / arc en ciel wheels as tubulars. Shop
after shop wanted me to go with mavic clincher rims. I finally stumbled
onto uncle al on the north end of cupertino (i think) who of course made a
fabulous job of it (built wheels for lemond too). He even spontaneously
tied and soldered em cause it seemed like a nice classic touch for a
classic pair of wheels.

I never thought tubulars were all that hard to deal with, and they
definitely rode great. Also I never had a pinch flat or "snake bite". But
eventually I've adopted more mainstream modern equipment and no longer ride
sew ups or freewheel hubs. Except for a track bike, I don't think I would
accept the expense and limited selection/availability of tires and rims
that going back to sew ups would entail.

I do think its neat that some folks outside the pro racing scene are doing
it though, and I look forward to hearing more about how they are doing with
it.