I’m surprised you’ve succeeded with a 9 speed road shifters with a wide
cassette and mtb derailler in index mode. My own experience with this didnt
work very well (and now that I’m reading, most internet advice says this won’t
work).

I’m no expert, so I’ll defer, but you are saying a shimano index 9 speed road
shifter will pull the same amount of cable to work a 42t mtn cassette+xt
derailler?