On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 16:47:24 UTC+11, Drw wrote:

> I’m no expert, so I’ll defer, but you are saying a shimano index 9 speed
> road shifter will pull the same amount of cable to work a 42t mtn
> cassette+xt derailler?

Prior to Shimano going 10-speed, road and MTB both used the same cable
pull, so a 9-speed road shifter will correctly index with a 9-speed MTB
derailleur across a 9-speed cassette - or vice versa.

With 10-speed, you can use a 10-speed road shifter and a 9-speed MTB
derailleur to correctly index across a 10-speed cassette. I've successfully
used an XT 9-speed SGS derailleur and 10-speed barend shifters to index
across a 10-speed 11-40 cassette. Depending on the length of the derailleur
tab on your dropout, it may work with 42t - only way to know is to try.

You can't use a 10-speed road shifter to index with 10-speed MTB
derailleur, as Shimano changed the 10s cable pull for MTB components.

With 11-speed, Shimano road and MTB cable pulls are still different, and
Shimano also changed the road cable pull, so the 11s road shifters won't
correctly index anything with a 9- or 10-speed derailleur. However, the
Ultegra and 105 GS 11-speed rear derailleurs will cope with an 11-40
cassette, though officially they are only rated to 34t. So you can use an
11-speed road shifter and road derailleur and still get pretty wide
gearing. See for example,
https://road.cc/content/feature/246424-how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-adventures
.

Nick