When I briefly had 42mm Panaracer Paselas on my 55 Cheviot it definitely felt
like a faster ride, but unfortunately I got a rose thorn flat in the first week
of having them on the bike. I switched out to Schwalbe Marathons because I
often commute on the Cheviot (only a mile to work, but a flat would put a big
delay on my getting there), and they feel more sluggish, though not as bad as
the Kendas I originally had on the Appaloosa.

I agree with the steer with your hips not the handlebars comment. In fact I am
being a bit too thrifty, probably, in still riding the *short* Brooks B17 I had
on my previous cramped bike. I sometimes switch the seat post and saddle to a
vinyl one (less fiddling if the seatpost is attached) if it is threatening a
bit of rain, and I feel the effect of more responsive steering with that one.
It is a Cannondale men's saddle we had in the parts box. I should probably just
spring for the Brooks B17 full length like I have on the Appaloosa.