Corwin,

I didn’t mean to hijack your thread.  I apologize.  You asked about Major Toms
and I am using them with good luck so far so thought I was responding
appropriately and then answered resulting direct questions.  I built up another
set with Mavic Reflex and those have been fine as well.  Mine were used and I
thought no longer available new but see now that they are.  I think they are
narrower than the Major Toms.  Not sure there are many other choices besides
carbon or wood.

I agreed with Jan’s comment.

Bill S