In my original long ago review of the Clementine, I did point out that it
was not perhaps the greatest apartment bicycle, depending on your
apartment--mine was a 3 floor walkup with a narrow and steep final set of
steps. Manageable, but barely. My Big Dummy I left in the hallway.

But I look at the Clem as I would look at a car. Functional for all
weather, ready to go night or day, able to carry a good load of groceries.
Like a car, it could be parked in a garage, and simply ridden in and out.
If you do have to portage it for a bit, grabbing by the swoop is handy. I'm
lucky in that I can wheel my bikes right into my house, but even there, the
Clem takes up more than its share, which means a bike or three will need to
move on.

It is definitely not a bike you would travel with, outside of strapping it
to the back of your Winnebago. There are plenty of bikes that are good for
that. And I do think the solidity of the bike, and the substantial rolling
mass, is part of its ride quality and appeal. It's a two-wheeled,
non-motorized land yacht, the bicycle equivalent of a Fleetwood or a
Continental. Only with better gas mileage and more fun in the handling
department. Is there a way to put those automobiles on a diet and still
have them be what they are? Maybe. You could leave home without the spare
and the tire iron.

I understand the desire to make the Clem more accessible, easier to lift or
pedal up a hill. For now that's not a huge problem for me, and with the
gearing on the Silver crankset, it may be the easiest bike I have to pedal
up the really steep stuff. So I am good with the full weight of my Clem L,
which is more than 2x what my racing bike weighed in 1991. I think the
prospect of lightening up the Cheviut has greater potential.

But it's all good in the end. I'll be looking forward to reading the
results of this grand experiment!