Someone I won't name, because he should be gratefully honored for his
contributions and definitely never hectored about such trivia, wrote he
could think of at least 11 steps to mounting a tube in a tire off the top
of his head.

I only think of 10.
   Put a layer of rim tape on the rim
   Put one bead of the tire on the rim down in the well
   Put talc on the tube or the inside surface of the tire.
   Put just enough air in the tube to give it some shape
   Put the tube inside the tire and around the rim (with the valve through
the hole of course)
   Push the other bead of the tire onto the rim and down into the well
   Make sure the tube isn't stuck under a tire bead anyplace
   Inflate to seat the beads
   Make sure the beads are seated
   Reduce pressure to what you ride

What am I missing?

Now for tubeless its (assuming no difficulties/hiccups)
   Put n layers of tubeless rim tape on the rim
   Install the valve stem, pull the core
   Slather soapy water al over the place
   Put the tire on the rim
   Use a compressor to blow air through the valve body to seat the tire
(may spray soapy water about doing this)
   Put sealant in through the valve
   Put the valve core back in
   Inflate the tire (may have sealant spraying about doing this)
   Check that sealant isn't coming out around the bead
   Spin the wheel a few times
   Let it sit overnight (reminds me of gluing tubulars)
   Re-inflate to riding pressure because it probably got soft overnight

Now I'll agree that that doesn't sound too bad, only a dozen steps. I also
agree that anyone who works on stuff, and has a shop or a garage, should
get a compressor. Well worth the investment (can you say air tools, fun).
But with the potential for spraying soapy water and/or sealant about, and
the risk of significant difficulty seating/sealing the beads etc, I don't
see how an honest appraisal can really conclude its not significantly more
trouble than installing tires with tubes. Kinda like gluing tubulars. Now I
can't quote anybody saying tubeless setup is trivial and as easy as using
tubes, but I feel like some proponents sort of imply something close to
that. Am I wrong?