Hi, All,

Ok, I'll play.

I was thirteen when I rode my first century. I lived in Slidell, Louisiana
at the time, and I rode to Biloxi, Mississippi along the coast. It was a
lovely ride on old US 11, and the first half of the ride went really
well--sun-kissed slabs of shell-aggregate concrete. You could say I was
sailing right along, all right, on my Huffy, spinning out those cranks.

I stopped for a Coke, exhausting my ride budget, refilled the bottle with
water from the tap, and turned around. There was an invisible hand pressing
on my chest. A whistling in my ears. A headwind all the way home. I took
under 3h for the first fifty miles, and I got back just before dark, 10h
after starting.

I also learned that I have to eat from time to time, and that I should
really bring money when I travel unless I plan to forage while riding.
Roadside foraging in Mississippi is as appetizing as it sounds. I get
reminded of this fact about annually, so this may well be something that I
should have learned, and forget too frequently.

Best Regards,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO