On my Proto-Gus I've been riding the 1x11 that Riv built up and it works well
for what it is. However, part of what it is is fussy, and this plays poorly
with my own fussiness. Sardonic grin. High torque mountain riding and
waffer-thin mint cogs require fine calibration and my ogre riding and it are
starting to have disagreements. In general, I shift 2-3 gears at a time.
However, I LOVE the wide range it offers, and I love the 1x simplicity. Oh, and
I'd love to shift back to friction shifting and the new Silver Surfer Shifter.
Grin.

Range: 30 (front) x 11/46 yields 18" x 80", a range I'd love to keep.

Ideas for how such wide-range (18"-80") 5-6 gear (but 8 or 9 if needed would
work) friction shifting beastie might be had?

Options I see:

- Could my current wheel lose it's cassette, gain Surly cassette cogs for the
22-13 range, and then ??? for the bigger cogs?

- Sun Race offers an 8 speed 11-40t that might work. (They have a lot of
options for others building up the Gus/Suzie as well).

- BoxComponents.com has a 9 speed 11-50 (pricy), all steel  I'd read somewhere
about a wide range steel 8 or 9 speed cassette start-up, but can't find it now.

With abandon,
Patrick

www.MindYourHeadCoop.org
www.DeaconPatrick.org