I honestly don't think dropping below 7 speeds will gain you any durability and
if you are running 1X you'll surely miss the additional intermediate gears.
7 spead Shimano Deore was pretty much bullit proof with the advantage of having
an awesome indexing thumb shifter ( switchable to friction) the downside is
those systems were meant to be run 2X so the old stuff likely won't work
anywayz the rear derailleur probably has a max capacity of 36(?)
Now Shimano makes some modern 7/8/9 speed stuff that the sell for lower level
bikes, similar to what Rivendell puts on Clems.
I am running Altus 9 Speed rear on my Clementine. But did you need freewheel or
Cassette?