"..which raises another but related question: which model or "system"
for both very bright sunlight and night-time riding? Photochromatic or
swappable lenses?"

I've never tried photochromatic but I'd be surprised if the 'bright sunlight'
part would work. In a car maybe, but a full-on blast of sun on the bike is a
whole 'nother animal.

Swappable works and I've done it, but I eventually decided life is too short to
be wiggling lenses in and out in the middle of a ride and just bought both. I
have daytime cycling shades, and an old Oakley M Frame (think Lance glasses)
with a clear lens that I toss in the saddlebag if I'm going to ride into the
night. Easy peasy.