Leah, first of all, I think your rad, but I understand your desire not to look
too techie.

Beyond that, it seems we are talking 2 different things here?
1) sunglasses
2) clear bug shields

To me it's all a very personal aesthetic, but although I have some Oakley's I
don't wear them much. The Oakley's I had last have some sort of fancy coating,
 (irridium?) which look great, but seem to scratch VERY easily. I just didn't
feel they were worth the $$'s
There's typically some inexpensive new brands that pop up on ebay. I bought
some Rudy Project shortly after that brand first appeared, now they cost a lot!
Trick with buying sunglasses on ebay is don't look solely at price. You don't
have to spend $100, but less than $20 is equally bad.
A brand that you can sometimes get inexpensively that I like is Dragons. A
couple others that are almost as good. RAZE and Electric (they may spell that
some clever way). I've been wearing my RAZE almost exclusively lately; In fact
I am on my second pair! First pair popped out of my handlebar bag & I was
bothered enough to by the same exact thing again.
Which leads me to the main point. The perfect cycling sunglasses are decent
quality,  but not so precious your going to have a meltdown if they get lost,
broken or stolen.

As far as clear bug shields go, I've never really cottoned to them for
different reasons glare, condensation,  ineffective perspiration evacuation,
etc.
That said you could probably ride over to Lowe's or Home Depot & look at
they're safety glasses, possibly try them on get an idea if it'll work for you.

In my younger days I had to ride to/from work at night through some fields and
I can tell you; although it makes a lot of sense to wear white at night for
visibility, it makes you a giant target for bugs! Especially when the
headlights of the oncoming cars hit you; certain times of the year it's like
flipping a switch.
As soon as the headlights land on you so to do the bugs!