The loud hubs are definitely a pissing contest about who spent the most
amount of money while getting ready for their triathlon. Never going to see
any wildlife with one of those things wizzing away in the background.

I love the click-click of the SA 3 speed for the reasons posted above, and
in that vein I put a Shimano Alfine 8 on my Surly CCheck... wowzer. It's so
clean looking, and so quietly quiet, and effortless shifting, I love it!
Really quiet gliding with that thing. I *almost* dropped one on my Chev and
then backed off at the last minute, and now the Chev isn't the most silent
bike in the world but at least it's not the ratchet-noise-of-doom.

Silence is golden. Don't get me started on wind chimes and leaf blowers.
(arrgh! get off my lawn!)