recommended variation on that route:
Make a left on Welch Creek (slightly before the bridge near the bottom of
the climb on calaveras).
Go most of the way up and hang a right into Sunol Wilderness on the Eagle
View (?) trail at the 2.7 mile marker parking pull out (parking on left).
Proceed down through the park and out on Geary road.
Rejoin Calaveras right at the bottom of the climb.

If you're ambitious, take Cave Rocks road up to where it hits Cerro Este
road. Great views from up there, but rather a climb.

A nice all pavement variation is to go left after descending "the wall" at
the end of Calaveras and take Felter all the way to the top of the climb on
Siera. Then descend that down into Milpetas, or reverse back the way you
came.

You can also ride into Pleasanton Ridge from Sunol, There is a road that
looks like a driveway (identifiable by the presence of a stop sign) that
comes off Foothill just just right of where you cross if you go up Kilkare.
Take that road up a short steep incline to the end and there is a gate for
entering the park at is southernmost end. It's possible (though perhaps not
legal) to go north through the park then east and down to hit Palameres
road right at the top of that climb.