Patrick M,

Hmmmmm.

First I'd encourage anybody who hasn't used tubulars, is up for the gluing
aspect, and has an interest in it to give them a try.

Though I like my RH tires, I think comparing RH tires to tubulars is sort
of apples to oranges. The tubulars I rode were 21 or 22 mm road racing (or
training) tires. The good ones had a round cross section even before you
inflated them, and they all had a round cross section when inflated. The
effect of that roundness may have been primarily psychological, but somehow
tubulars never felt as narrow as 23mm clinchers do to me. The tubulars gave
a remarkably comfy ride even pumped to ~100psi. They also gave very
immediate and responsive handling. It's possible the different wheel types
played a roll too. I used light low profile rims like Arc En Ciel, and
gl330 or gl280. I think even a "light" clincher rim like the Pacenti Brevet
or the MA-40s that were ubiquitous in the 90s is significantly stiffer than
those old tubular rims. Surely the more aero rims common today are.
I don't think my recollections are good enough to pass judgement on the
relative rolling resistance compared to tires I ride these days, but I'd
hazard a guess that they (the good hand made tubulars) roll more easily.

Most of the tires I ride now are a lot bigger than a road tubular. I like
them a lot, they are comfy, and handle well if I don't run the pressure too
low. But I don't think I would like riding those tires in a criterium,
particularly not a technical downtown one (as opposes to a wide open course
in a business park). Perhaps not even for a road race, where shoulder
rubbing bar bumping crunches weren't unheard of either. However I don't do
those things anymore so it's not really relevant for me.

The 26mm cayuse extralights mounted to Hed Ardennes+ rims on my BMC Road
are probably close to a good hand made tubular, but I doubt they are quite
the same. They are very nice though and I doubt Ill ever go to the trouble
and expense of setting up a road bike just to have for riding tubulars when
I want to do so. But I'd never call into question anybody else's decision
to so.