I had a tandem almost exactly like the one linked, that I got from a local
craigslist seller. I
Grant Petersen <gr...@rivbike.com>
Sat, Jun 2, 2012, 7:18 AM
to me
Hi Brian,
I bought a custom Ritchey tandem in '81 that is almost identical, down to
the color. It was Imron Berry Red metallic. Mine was 22-inches front and
rear--this one seems about 24-inches, or at least 23. And my captain's seat
binder tightened near the front, not the rear. My first year of Rivendell
was so rough (mismanaged?) that I had to sell six Ritcheys. All of 'em. All
fillet brazed and beautiful (but all too small by my current standards).

THis one is sooo much l ike mine. The long twin laterals with the X
bracing---later simplified---is an example of Tom at his complicated best.
He never got worse--I'm not implying that---but this is him probably in
1979/80, I'm guessing. The reversed seat binder would follow the
normal-direction one...the normal direction one would naturally be the
default. At least, I think so.

Well. It's a beautiful bike, and I know how it rides. Thanks for the pix.

(I am really good friends with Tom's son, Jay---who worked at RIV for 3
years before following his love life down to Arizona. And of course I know
Tom. Tom doesn't dwell a lot on the past, but he'd know in an instant when
this bike was built. I expect to see him within the month---but I also
trust my guess of 79/80. It's a damn good guess.

THanks for sending. sent pictures to Grant since he had mentioned having
one previously he sent the below email to me aa few years back:

Seems like the seller could be on level.