I meant that while I cannot say I've experienced what Jan calls "planing,"
I have experienced bikes that make me (consistently, over extended periods
of ridership) make me want to use a smaller cog, and those that seem at
least on occasion to "hold you back" -- feel sluggish in certain
conditions, as if you were riding into a small headwind or as if your rear
brake were dragging slightly, or as if you were riding on Schwalbe
Marathons.

the 1999 custom never felt as if it were holding me back and I
progressively geared it 70", 72", 75", and 76". The Matthews fat tire dirt
road bike doesn't feel ever as if it holds me back. But the 2003 did,
sometimes, as when the terrain began to slope upward slightly, or as when
you turned into a headwind. The new Matthews replacement for this 2003
doesn't feel that way; it encouraged a roughly 4 gi higher cruising gear
and, even in that gear, feels easier to pedal on hills and against winds,
compared to the 70" of the 2003.

I've not yet ridden the Libertas, which is just a frameset being
refurbished by Chauncey. I used its weight in comparison to that of the
Libertas to illustrate the beefiness of the 2003, thinking that the heavy
(as well as OS) tubing might be the cause of the perceived sluggishness.

The Libertas is a (I think) early 1970s road race bike with normal gauge
and apparently thinwall 531 tubing; the Ram is a Rivendellian UJB with
thicker and OS tubing. The Ram didn't feel bad, but it felt rather like the
2003 custom: not spritely, not encouraging a tooth smaller. It also felt a
little slow to change direction compared to the customs, possibly because I
am used to sub 25" wheels on road bikes instead of 27" wheels. Again, I've
not ridden the Libertas, but given that the new Chauncey road bike rides so
delightfully with NG .8.5.8 tubes, I have high hopes for the Libertas.