That is some poor math there, Steve, and I don't see why you need to be so
argumentative.  Comparing 23 and 28 is over 20% difference in width. The
difference from 47mm to 52mm is about a 10% difference in width, and both
are well into the "can handle any surface" size territory. "Whopping 5.3mm"
is quite laughable in this case. I'm not saying you can't feel the
difference necessarily, but two things are true: the difference between
brands and models will have a much bigger impact than the small width
difference, and you will be able to do all the same riding on either size.