Aha, Sting Ray, now I remember. Google and Wiki provide the text below. My
only contact with the fad was a top-tube-mounted 3-speed shifter that I
found in the 1968 Sears Christmas Catalogue and added to to my Christmas
list and, indulgent parents thank you!, actually got via slow boat in time
for Christmas; big black knob on stout pressed metal lever over
plastic-box-enclosed, simple, ratchet shifting system, and installed on my
metallic-gold-flake with white accents Raleigh Sports to complement the
retrofitted steel drop bar and rat trap pedals sans retention mechs.
Nowadays I'd prefer the original -- and IMO brilliant -- bar-mount trigger
shifter, which I've gone thru contortions to source in these our latter
days.

*The Sting-Ray: **In 1962, Schwinn's designer Al Fritz heard about a new
youth trend centered in California for retrofitting bicycles with the
accoutrements of motorcycles customized in the "bobber" or "chopper" style,
including high-rise, "ape-hanger" handlebars and low-rider "banana
seats".[23] Inspired, he designed a mass-production bike for the youth
market known as Project J-38. The result, a wheelie bike, was introduced to
the public as the Schwinn Sting-Ray in June 1963.[23][24][25][26] It had
ape-hanger handlebars, Persons's Solo Polo Seat banana seat and 20-inch
tires. Sales were initially slow, as many parents desiring a bicycle for
their children did not find the Sting-Ray appealing in the least. However,
after a few appeared on America's streets and neighborhoods, many young
riders would accept nothing else, and sales took off. In the December 1963
Schwinn Reporter Schwinn announced the arrival of the Deluxe Sting-Ray.
This model included Fenders, white-wall tires, and a padded Solo polo seat.
Next, in July 1964 Schwinn announced the arrival of the Super Deluxe
Sting-Ray. This model included a front spring-fork, and a new sleeker
Sting-Ray banana seat, and a Person's Hi-loop Sissy bar. Also, the Super
Deluxe gave the rider a choice of White wall tires or the new Yellow oval
rear Slik tire paired with a front black wall Westwind tire. By 1965, a
host of American and foreign manufacturers were offering their own version
of the Sting-Ray.*