Yes, especially on Rivs which have longer threaded sections on the fork,
due to the extension of the steerer above the headset. I hold the stem up
to the bike to see where it must be to get the wedge below the headset.
Usually need to drop the stem another 1/4" to 1/2" below the minimum
insertion line.

Laing