I'd take the LIRR east and 'do' the North Fork and stay in Greenport's KOA.
There's a ferry over to...uhm...Shelter Island?... and then you could go on
to the South Fork and head out to the lighthouse and/or Montauktown
(goo--ooo-oood seafood!), and pass the Big Duck on your way back. Traffic
should be minimal because "the season" is over. Sunburn would be your only
problem and the waters should still be warm enough to stop and skinnydip.