So I actually got a reasonable ride yesterday on this puppy. Evidence of
late-night/rookie misses was the twisty/sliding saddle----undertightened
binder bolt, and the handlebars rotating downward drastically on the first
hard stop---undertensioned stem. The stem was a minor issue because it's a
Dura-Ace stem, which requires a long/thin 6mm wrench to reach the short
internal bolt. That leaves you with the short end of an L-wrench hanging
out the back, which is very difficult to torque to spec. Fortunately I had
a small 9-10mm wrench with one end closed, so I could use that for added
torque.

Then I had a flat about 3min from home, too close to bother with a roadside
fix, so I ignominiously walked it home despite having all the repair
fixin's in my bag. The lightweight tube had punctured due to older hardened
velox tape leaving too deep a scoop above the spoke ferrules, which I
didn't discover till after the longish walk home, but that meant if I had
repaired it on the road, I would have had to redo it when I got home anyway
to replace the rim tape. I do remember during assembly thinking I should
probably replace that rim tape, but when it's late and I'm tired I usually
think that inner voice is stupid. Did the rear at home, in the stand, still
oughta replace the front rim strip as well. Cleaned up some somewhat
oxidized spoke nipples while I was at it.

Seat/handlebar slips and flat rear tire followed by a walk home. You know
what? All in all it was still a very nice ride....

Riv rides good. Didn't particularly "feel fast," yet I made very good time.
It corners faster than I expected, not at all a bad thing. The 30mm actual
width Soma SV SLs felt great, until the rear flat.

It felt like it wanted to shimmy pretty quickly if I took my hands off the
bars, but then I remembered the front wheel dish was way off, and...I
hadn't dealt with that.

I guess that's what shakedown rides are for.

Paul Brodek
Hillsdale, NJ USA