*My entirely unscientific opinion is it's basically a 1x system with a
granny bailout. You're supposed to use the 42 most of the time and across
the full range. *

That's what thought.

The only reason I'm asking is because I had a bad shift incident last week
(really noisy/rough while climbing in small ring...) and so I started
digging around the ever-so-helpful internet and found a lot of dogmatic
writing about NEVER cross chaining big ring to big cogs/small ring to small
cogs. In retrospect, my bad shift incident was almost certainly waiting too
long to drop down to the small ring, probably combined with spastic
movement of the shifter.