Thanks Rich and others. I just had a nice ~20 mile out and about (ending up
at the grocery store 1 mile south of my house; the best kind of ride is a
huge detour to a practical destination). I had put the fixed wheel back on
it, the first time I've ridden the 48 X 17 fixed with the Naches Passes,
and the bike felt very, very fast and smooth. Perhaps I'll keep the NPs on
after all. Gearing is slightly higher at 72" than with the Elk Passes at
70", but the new frame seems to encourage torquing in a higher gear without
bogging down or -- symptom I've experienced with other bikes with fixed
drivetrains -- starting to cramp your quads after prolonged plugging away
in slightly too high a gear.

I can't say that I feel any performance disadvantage with the Schwalbe SV
12 tubes (again, at 150 grams, over twice the weight as -- and with
noticeably thicker walls than -- the SV 11 or whatever 26 X 1 / 650C X 23
skinnies). I may not bother to go tubeless.

Curious: does anyone have experience with Specialized's "Airlock" sealant?
This is a cheap, old-fashioned Slime type of sealant that I was told works
better in tubes at lower pressures -- I was told it is "like Slime but
better;" thus I've used it in the Naches Passes at 35-40 psi. So far, so
good; no goathead flats; but I wonder how it works in tubes at higher
pressures, like the 50-45 I use in the Elk Passes? It contains little wee
fiber bits, I understand, in a substrate that is claimed not to evaporate
the way Orange Seal or Stan's does -- glycol?. Has anyone used it and can
he or she say? It's half the price of the "better" sealants.