I tried bandanas. Perhaps I'm just fussy, but I had a hard time keeping
them from slipping down.

In the event, I ordered a Buff synthetic gaiter on the recommendation of
someone onlist. Buff has a bewildering plenty of colors and patterns, and I
fretted about choosing one that will go with all of my outfits. (And that
doesn't make me look fat.) But I decided, what the hell, let's get one that
doesn't go with anything, so ordered bright orange. (Well, it will go with
the bright orange bar tape on my Matthews Road Bike For Dirt.

I read the CDC stricture against fleece, but didn't see them frowning and
shaking their fingers at synthetics knits like the Buffs.