I probably read the same article Philip did.  The synthetic gaiters and
single-layer gaiters pose the problem that Philip mentioned (micro
dispersing sneezes).  I did a little more research and everyone points to
double layered cotton as the best protection.  That prompted a search for
double layered, cotton gaiters for riding and I was thrilled to find that
Carhartt
seemed to excel in this area
<https://www.carhartt.com/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&storeId=10201&productId=3074457345617688171&itemId=3074457345617688174&c3api=1539,33342388277,138329375229&kpid=Ecomm_Shopping_Brand-Plus_go_cmp-660347003_adg-33342388277_ad-138329375229_pla-60193252536_dev-c_ext-_prd-A_105086_N04__OFA_sig-Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12Do-Gax9O2RxEKCk0LYOiUNf_43TgQtN7WDpPsfkJKCV_XP0N0A0X4aAiFLEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12Do-Gax9O2RxEKCk0LYOiUNf_43TgQtN7WDpPsfkJKCV_XP0N0A0X4aAiFLEALw_wcB>.

Not only is it 95% cotton (5% spandex) outside, it's double layer with 100%
cotton on the inside.  It also has the added bonus of a filter pocket!  I
bought two.  This didn't solve the fogging problem but we figured out a
hack that helps.  You could buy something like this
<https://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Oceantree-Aluminum-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B087BXJ2ZF>

but I don't think they'd stay on.  Instead, I've been adding wires to our
face masks.  We bought a spool of 16 gauge stainless wire (for hanging
picture frames) and cut lengths of it, dip the ends in epoxy (to create
soft droplet-like ends).  We can then open a couple of stitches in the edge
seam, slide a wire in and stitch both ends of the wire to keep in place.
That has provided a bendable, machine-washable nose bridge at very little
cost and a little DIY effort.  The only issue I have with the Carhartt
gaiter is that it is one size fits all and, in Carhartt land, people are
big.  The nose bridge helped snug it up and we washed an dried it to shrink
it a little.  May still need to take it in a little.

John
Niles, CA