Brake clearance is a good point since you have V-brakes. Fenders are a
safety feature for canti's since if your cable snaps the straddle cable
can't drop onto the tire and catch on the knobs.  But they do pose
potential risks as mentioned - stay into the spoke seems unlikely to me,
since they tend to swing outwards if they come un-done, but if a stick
finds its way between the tire and fender you've got a recipe for a bent
fork and trip over the handlebars!  Rare but happens. I'm actually waiting
on some PDW fender stays that have a break-away design for the Bombadil,
since it's the bike this is most likely to occur on.